Air Connectivity is the Key to Regional Development all over the World

ATR presents its new Market Forecast 2016-2035, drawn up using
new methodology to better reflect the regional turboprop market

 

Farnborough, July 12th, 2016 – ATR, the world’s leading regional aircraft manufacturer, unveiled its brand new 20 year Market Forecast at the 50th Farnborough International Airshow. Populations, living standards and therefore connectivity needs are growing and regional dynamics are changing in both mature and emerging markets. Turboprops have a key role to play in that expansion, promoting community development with links between secondary and tertiary airports as well as regional access into/out of the main hubs. Over the coming 20 years, ATR anticipates an average growth rate in annual regional traffic of around 3.9%, which means 2,800 turboprop aircraft will be needed worldwide.
 
Among those 2,800 aircraft, ATR predicts that 1,000 turboprops (35%) will be replacing older aircraft, keeping the flying fleets up to and beyond required safety and environmental standards. The other 65% will come from fleet growth. Half of the fleet growth will come from route creation as growing numbers of cities and regions connect directly – 3,000 new routes are forecast. The other half will come from the growth in existing regional markets and increasing rates of conversion to turboprop technology.
 
Regional connectivity is becoming more and more of a priority all over the world. Key markets such as China and India but also Iran, Japan and the USA, all need to develop new routes or re-open regional routes. Thanks to its new forecasting methodology, ATR has been able to evaluate route creation potential in each world region. 3.2% per year of this forecast growth can be attributed to the 3,000 or more new routes that are expected to open: 1,400 routes in Asia-Pacific including China, 800 across the Americas and 800 between Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
 
Regardless of variations in the market, ATR’s key characteristics are constant: the aircraft are simple, robust and reliable and continuous improvement means performance increases constantly in existing aircraft without the need for new acquisitions.  From an environmental point of view, the increased use of turboprops on regional routes helps reduce regional aviation CO2 emissions; from a financial point of view, the low operating costs of ATR turboprops represent a hedge against market volatility. It is the accumulation of these strengths that ensures success for ATR, even in these times of economic uncertainty.
 
 
Please find the detailed document on our website: here
Follow us on Twitter: @atraircraft 

 
Download PDF

About ATR

ATR is the world number one regional aircraft manufacturer with its ATR 42 and 72 aircraft the best-selling aircraft in the less than 90-seat market segment. In 2019 the company had a turnover of US$1.6 billion. The unifying vision of the company’s 1,400 employees is to help everyone, no matter where they are in the world, to connect and develop in a responsible manner. Thanks to the efficiency of turboprop technology and the benefits of the company’s focus on continuous innovation, ATR aircraft open more than 100 new routes every year, burn up to 40% less fuel and emit up to 40% less CO2 than regional jets. For all of these reasons, ATR aircraft have been chosen by some 200 companies in 100 countries around the world. ATR is a joint-venture between Airbus and Leonardo.